Saturday, June 11, 2011

What a beautiful family!

While Mike was out of town one night a few weeks ago the girls and I headed over to Salma's house for some fun. Sabina (Salma's oldest child) was getting married and so of course muslim tradition they do hena on their feet and hands. I told Salma I would take pictures for her so the girls and I went over.






I have learned so much in the 3.5 years that I have known Salma.  I am so thankful to her for opening my eyes to a new and very different culture.  This family is truly amazing and are all so kind.  The marriage thing is something I am still trying to understand, but it goes something like.  1) you meet a guy- you like the guy 2) you have a family meeting to see if this is someone you want to spend your life with 3) you get engaged 4) you get married that all happens within 2 months or so.  They got married last Saturday night, but they are still not allowed to live together or sleep together.  The day after their "marriage" was the first day they were ever alone with one another.  They will have another marriage ceremony in September and from that ceremony they will be truly married.  Salma is so sad, she feels like she is losing her baby.  And truly she is, the bride moves with the groom and his family and becomes one with them.  She of course will still be Salma's daughter but she has a new family as well.  I love this family and think they are all amazing and learning new things about other people and their beliefs has always been fascinating to them.  I do not believe the way that they do, but I do not judge them.  I accept them all and love them all. 
Blake found a friend






No comments:

Post a Comment